Once the administrative centre of German South West Africa,
Otjimbingwe is situated south of
Karibib at the junction of the Swakop and Omusema rivers. Opinions on the
origins of the name of the town differ, the most common meaning given being
'place of refreshment', referring to the spring in the Omusema River. The
town rose to prominence due to its position on an established ox-wagon route
half-way between Windhoek and Walvis Bay. It
was Otjimbingwe's role as a trading post that made it an important centre.
in 1854, the Walvisch Bay Mining Company had made the settlement its
headquarters after the discovery of copper in the area. A trading post was
set up and soon a roaring trade, typical of the time, was going on in
arms, ammunition, alcohol and livestock. In 1860, the hunter, explorer and
trader Charles John Andersson established his headquarters here, the first
permanent trading post in the area.
Sights: The church, completed in 1867, is the oldest to have been built to serve the Herero community.
Accommodation in the area:
To print this page press Ctrl-P
Reservations are only accepted in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
Final availability confirmation: in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
Terms & conditions, Payment options and Cancellation policy
Page created and serviced by
Copyright © 1998-2018 NamibWeb.com - The online guide to Namibia
All rights reserved | Pond5 | VIDEO LIBRARY
Page is sponsored by ETS & www.namibweb.com
Disclaimer: no matter how often this page is updated and its accuracy is checked www.namibweb.com and ETS will not be held responsible for any change in opinion, information, facilities, services, conditions, etc. offered by establishment/operator/service/information provider or any third party