Mokolodi Nature Reserve Gaborone
Mokolodi Nature Reserve
offers self-catering (self-contained) accommodation in the Mokolodi Nature
Reserve, near Gaborone, in Botswana. There are five secluded chalets, situated
on a rocky hill overlooking a waterhole. Guests at the Mokolodi Lodge can
escape from the hustle and bustle of city life and spend their days observing
the fascinating behaviour of the wildlife.
At Mokolodi Lodge, you will not even realise that there are chalets other your own. Each self-catering chalet is fully equipped, with solar power, flush toilets, cooker and fridge. The chalets each have a thatched roof, a natural way of ensuring a cool stay in summer and a cosy holiday in winter.
The Mokolodi Lodge also provides camping facilities. The picturesque name of Hidden Valley Campsite says it all. You will be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of the deep bush of the Mokolodi Nature Reserve without ever seeing your neighbours. Each camping site has a flush toilet, kitchen sink and you can even have the unique experience of showering beneath the stars! Three of the 8 camping sites at Mokolodi have their own braai facilities.
The Mokolodi Nature Reserve near Gaborone offers a host of activities, guaranteeing that you will depart knowing much more about wildlife. The Reserve is home to Botswana’s only Wild Cheetah Transit Station. This is a facility where “problem” cheetahs are housed before being relocated to other areas. Typically, a “problem” animal would be one that hunts cattle on farms.
In addition to the cheetahs, four orphaned elephants are also being raised here at the Mokolodi Nature Reserve in collaboration with the Serendib Elephant Orphanage. Through the efforts of the Mokolodi Nature Reserve and its White Rhino Relocation Program, the first white rhino was re-introduced in the Okavango area.
The Mokolodi Nature Reserve also has a reptile park, wildlife rehabilitation centre, crocodile pond, permaculture garden and animal sanctuary. Visitors can learn more about the many plant species, 50 species of large mammals and 300 species of birds on a 2-hour tour accompanied by a professional guide. You can stroke Mokolodi’s resident tame cheetah (and have your picture taken to treasure forever) or join a rhino-tracking drive or cheetah-sighting drive under the guidance of an expert tracker and guide before enjoying a bush picnic. Or, if you prefer, enjoy a sundowner game drive followed by a dinner in the form of a sumptuous bush braai. The Mokolodi Nature Reserve and self-catering Lodge is on the Lobatse Road, 14 km south of Gaborone in Botswana.
Each chalet is constructed in traditional style, the thatched roof providing warmth in winter and a cool retreat in the summer.
The accommodation features comfortable beds, mains electricity, hot and cold running water, flush toilets, and a well-equipped kitchen with cooker and fridge.
Information – Campsite
• The Park is open from 07h00 to 18h30 in summer and 07h30 to 18h00 in winter.
• Check-in time is from 12h00 to 18h00. Please notify reception if you will be checking-in after hours, so that a staff member is able to assist you upon arrival.
• Check-out time is at 10h00, to ensure that our cleaning staff has enough time to prepare and clean the campsites for the next guests.
• The campsite is situated approximately 3.5km into the park and the terrain is rocky. It is recommended that low vehicles do not drive around the park but straight to chalets or campsites to avoid any damage to your vehicle. Guests with very low vehicles are advised to book a transfer in one of the park vehicles (extra charges apply – see below).
• Transfers to and from the campsites are available by prior arrangement P30.00 per person one-way.
• The Mokolodi Restaurant is open every day of the week except on Mondays and Sundays only open for lunch. Only lunch and dinner is served. Advanced booking is required.
• The campsites are exclusive, meaning if you confirm the campsite you will not be sharing it with other guests.
• The campsites are completely self-catering; guests must bring their own food, drinks and camping equipment.
• Each campsite has its own flush toilet, heated outdoor shower (heat water by using a donkey boiler), braai area with grid, dustbin, and a washbasin.
• Please keep an eye on your fire especially if it is windy.
• Due to the fact that Mokolodi is a nature reserve and with respect to other guests, we do not allow music to be played.
• Guests are required to be in camp after game drives by 18h00 in winter and 18h30 in summer – this is for your own safety. Main road access to and from the campsite/restaurant closes at 22h00.
• As we are a nature reserve, please do not collect firewood (firewood is available to purchase at reception).
• Littering is unsightly and can kill our wildlife. Please do not litter. Baboons inhabit the area and will be attracted to food that is left out – please secure your food and camping items at all times.
Alexander McCall Smith Traditional Rest Camp
Imagine up-close game
viewing, a traditional dinner, drinks under the stars and an over-night stay
in a Tswana/Mokolodi-style thatched hut. This is precisely the package that
awaits visitors to the Alexander McCall Smith Traditional Rest Camp. Just like
the park's other activities and services, the proceeds of the Rest Camp will
directly fund the education and conservation projects of the reserve.
Perched upon the Mokolodi hills and boasting spectacular views of the nature reserve, the Worlds View Centre is Mokolodi’s popular venue for a range of events, including workshops, corporate meetings and conferences, as well as daytime or evening social functions.
Packages are tailored to suit your needs and include refreshments and equipment, such as data projectors and P.A. systems, to support the staging of your event. Full catering and bar facilities are also available, for daytime or evening functions.
How to find Mokolodi
Being so close to
Gaborone, Mokolodi Nature Reserve is very easy to find and even accessible by
From the Kgale Hill circle (roundabout) at the southern end of the Western Bypass, drive south from Gaborone on the main road to Lobatse (A1) for about 10 kilometres. Be careful that you don't take the turning on the right at the first junction you come to, signposted to Mokolodi village. Continue on the Lobatse Road past that junction. The Mokolodi Nature Reserve road is a further 3 kilometres on the right and is signposted. Turn right. As this road goes no further than the nature reserve, keep going up the hill until you reach the park gates.
Rates per room per night, accommodation only: on request
|1 bedroom, max 2 adults/1 child||-|
|2 bedrooms, max 4 adults/4 children||-|
|Activities per person|
|Game drive, min 2, +- 2 hours||-|
|Night drive, min 2, +- 2 hours||-|
|Rhino tracking, min 2, no children under 16 years old||-|
|Giraffe tracking, min 2, no children under 16 years old||-|
Contact & reservations:
Fax: +264 61 244558
1) you can e-mail us requesting information and/or rates
Reservations are only accepted in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
Final availability confirmation: in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
See also: Terms & conditions, Payment options and Cancellation policy
|Related links||Maps||Accommodation in the area||Activities in the area|
|Hotels||Pensions||B&Bs||Lodges||Camping & others|
|Gaborone||Gaborone Reserve||Cresta Lodge Gaborone||Falcon Crest Suites||Judy's B&B||Brackendene Lodge||Innisfree Apartments||Airport transfers|
|Camping sites in Botswana's national parks||Map||Cresta President Hotel||-||Phokoje B&B||Yarona Country Lodge||Mokolodi Backpackers||-|
|Accommodation Botswana||-||Gaborone Hotel||-||-||Oppi-Koppi Accommodation||Motheo Apartments||-|
|All rhino||-||Gaborone Sun Hotel||-||-||Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort||-||-|
|-||-||Mondior Summit Hotel||-||-||Yarona Country Lodge||-||-|
|-||-||The Grand Palm Resort||-||-||-||-||-|
Page created and serviced by
Copyright © 1998-2013 NamibWeb.com - The online guide to Botswana
All rights reserved
Disclaimer: no matter how often this page is updated and its accuracy is checked www.namibweb.com and ETS will not be held responsible for any change in opinion, information, facilities, services, conditions, etc. offered by establishment/operator/service/information provider or any third party
Description & images: Copyright © Mokolodi Nature Reserve